Individual awards, regardless of tier, are given in the following categories:
- OUTSTANDING WORLD PREMIERE PLAY: Award given to playwright.
- OUTSTANDING WORLD PREMIERE MUSICAL: Award given to composer, lyricist, and/or librettist.
To qualify for the above categories the production must: A) be the very first presentation of the play or musical that is fully staged (actors off script and use of scenic, costume, properties, lighting and/or sound designs); B) be open to public attendance via ticket sales; and C) invite members of the media to attend and review for broadcast or publication. Workshops or readings that do not meet these criteria will not be eligible for world premiere consideration.
- OUTSTANDING PRESENTATION OF A GUEST PRODUCTION – PLAY or MUSICAL: Award given to presenter. May not be given every year.
Guest productions are not eligible for awards in other categories. The steering committee may elect to present separate awards for musicals and plays in this category if the number of candidates at the end of the season warrants such consideration.
- OUTSTANDING PRESENTATION OF A SOLO PRODUCTION: Award given to performer/author(s). Solo productions are not eligible for awards in acting or world premiere categories.
AWARDS FOR MUSICALS, PLAYS AND SPECIALTY PRODUCTIONS
Separate awards for musicals and plays, by tier, are given in the following categories:
OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION: Award given to producer.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTION: Award given to director.
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A PRINCIPAL ROLE (2 awards given to 2 performers)
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A FEATURED ROLE (2 awards given to 2 performers)
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTING ENSEMBLE (Award given to the producer. Certificates given to each actor.)
AWARDS FOR MUSICALS
Awards, by tier, are given in the following categories:
- OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHY: Award given to choreographer.
- OUTSTANDING MUSIC DIRECTION: Award given to music director.
AWARDS FOR MUSICALS, PLAYS OR SPECIALTY PRODUCTIONS
Combined awards for plays and musicals, by tier, are given in the following categories:
- OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN: Award given to the designer
- OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN: Award given to the designer
- OUTSTANDING PROPERTIES DESIGN: Award given to the designer
- OUTSTANDING SCENIC DESIGN: Award given to the designer
- OUTSTANDING SOUND DESIGN: Award given to the designer
- OUTSTANDING FIGHT CHOREOGRAPHY: Award given to the choreographer
- OUTSTANDING CREATIVE SPECIALTIES: Awards for excellence in specialized areas not eligible in other categories but requiring unique or specialized skills, including but not limited to adaptation of a play or musical, choreography in a play, intimacy direction, orchestrations, movement, design of puppets, masks, video, special hair or make-up design, original underscore for a play. Award given to designer(s). The awards program steering committee may elect to expand the number of awards given each season by tier and/or category based on activity by tier and/or category: